Friday, May 16, 2008

VALLEY FORGE LETTER

February, 7 1778
Dear Mother,
It is me, Peter. I am doing allot worse then I was. I miss you and father terribly. How are things going by the way? The food portions are going worse things are in smaller portions. All what the food is a simple diet of fire cakes and cold water. Which was simply flour and water battered on a griddle. Not the best tasting things in the world. It is getting colder it is not like our home stead Pennsylvania. How are my eight brothers and sisters doing I can't wait to see you all again send my best to all. I have to tell you what I have to tell you what I have been thinking. I wish I could do this in person but I still have months until in can come home so I guess I will tell you now. I have thinking about not enlisting after this time. What do you think about this?

I really want to stay home but there is still apart of me that want to enlist. I don't know what to do I don't want to because I don't like these cold winters. It's mostly because I don't have really thick clothes on. The days are long the nights are even longer. We walked almost twenty miles today. We got hit today and lost and lost some of our men. Then the night came it was cold the ground was wet and there were about thirty of us cuddling to keep warm. I can't stand the nights any more the days can be longer when it is snowing out. The hut are not big they are cold without a fire going which we don't have one rarely going. It was tough to get more supplies with the roads the way they are I don't know how we are going to make it through the next couple months. So I don't know what I am going to do.

There are allot of sicknesses going around I am happy that I have not caught anything yet. They take the sick or dead and put them in a barn so no one would catch anything. You wouldn't want to even walk even a little close to the barn because it stunk and it was like a ground of nothing but disease. You can smell the rotting carcasses or the horses. intolerable smells Washington finally prompted was a necessary and who ever doesn't will receive five lashes. We have lost three to four thousand men. So after writing this letter I think I have come to a decision I will enlist again because we are fighting for our country our friends and family, but more importantly i am fighting for myself. I have to go now we are up at the break of dawn.
Write back I am at Valley Forge
Love you all,
Peter Wail

No comments: